Our history

Sisters of Charity in England

In September 1888, the first Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary to venture outside Belgium, arrived in England at the invitation of the Bishop of Salford, Herbert Vaughan, to care for and educate the destitute children of his diocese. They arrived in nearby Bury, where they lodged for some ten nights with the Daughters of the Cross while their own quarters in Holly Mount were made habitable. On 23rd of September of the same year the first Holy Mass was celebrated in Holly Mount and the community was formally installed.

The First Community in Ireland of the Sisters of Charity of Jesus and Mary

The Sisters established their first community in Ireland in 1946 at Moore Abbey, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare.

Moore Abbey was opened to cater for the needs of women with epilepsy. In the 1960’s Moore Abbey adapted to provide for a more pressing need at the time: the care of people with learning disabilities.

In 1952 the Sisters opened their second house in Ireland – St. Mary’s, South Hill, Delvin, Co. Westmeath. The first group of children arrived in 1954.